Hello there, is this your first visit?
Register

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Click to join the contest

• [NEWS] The VW Scirocco Might Not Get A Successor

Autocar reports that at VWís Annual Session, the subject of replacing the Scirocco and the Mk6 Golf-related Beetle hard top was raised, sadly the response wasnít a particularly promising one for Scirocco enthusiasts and fans of the Beetle. VW brand board member Arno Antlitz is quoted as saying: ďThe Beetle and Scirocco are representatives of an emotional and appealing class of vehicles, but it is not always about continuing cars from one generation to the next.Ē

Oh my. While I personally donít much like the Scirocco for the way it drives - the driving position was all wrong, visibility was sub-par, handling was good but a bit dull, and the engine in the TSI version was uninspiring - itís still a gorgeous car. God knows how old it is right now but we think it has aged really well and is still looking good, and we would love to a next-gen Scirocco just for the sake of what VW can come up with it.

Sadly, because VW really took a financial blow thanks to the dieselgate scandal, they have had to do some cost-cutting, which so far includes pulling off VW from WRC, pulling off Audi from Le Mans, as well as putting up Ducati up for sale. Now it seems they might be cancelling the VW Scirocco and the hard-top Beetle as well, since the two models are not big sellers for the company. Not that we care about the Beetle. However, we believe the reason why the Scirocco isnít a big seller anymore is because peel away the lovely bodywork, and it is in essence a Mk. 6 Golf. What VW needs is the chassis of their Mk. 7 Golf along with a beautiful bodywork and voila! A VW that can once again rival the MINI.

Arno Antlitz said that their upcoming Arteon (a bigger, posher version of the Passat) and the I.D Crozz (an electric SUV concept) will fill the Ďemotionalí gap left behind by the Scirocco and the Beetle. We still want to see a new Scirocco though, fingers-crossed they will continue the Scirocco.